Does Levothyroxine cause weight gain? That is the question I am going to answer in this video today. Here is a common problem: patients with hypothyroidism present to their doctor, get put on T4 medication like Levothyroxine or Synthroid and they CONTINUE to gain weight – despite no change in their diet or exercise routine.
How can this be?
In this video, I answer what I think is going on in many patients and it has to do with T4 to reverse T3 conversion when certain patients are given medications that contain T4 only.
In the setting of inflammation, trauma, infections, liver/kidney issues, low-calorie diets, and nutrient deficiencies the body can take T4 and convert it into the thyroid blocking metabolite reverse T3. High levels of reverse T3 then compete for binding at the T3 cellular receptor site and put the brakes on thyroid and metabolic function.
So how do you treat this condition?
Most patients will need medication containing T3 like natural desiccated thyroid or liothyronine/Cytomel to “flush” the system.
I also give several tips that I use in my office to help boost thyroid function if your doctor isn’t willing to give you medication with T3 in it:
1. Optimize T4 to T3 conversion – I recommend the combination of zinc plus selenium.
2. Fix your adrenals – Consider using adrenal adaptogens or adrenal glandulars both of which can enhance cortisol and improve your stress response.
3. Add high-intensity exercise – To help lower insulin and leptin levels.
4. Reduce inflammation and find hidden sources of inflammation – the easiest first place to look is at your diet.
5. Lower leptin and insulin levels – It will be impossible to lose weight with leptin resistance and/or insulin resistance and both conditions reduce T4 to T3 conversion.
Recommended thyroid supplements to enhance thyroid function:
– For thyroid hormone production and conversion: https://www.restartmed.com/product/thyroid-adrenal-reset-complex/ + https://www.restartmed.com/product/t3-conversion-booster/
– For hair loss: https://www.restartmed.com/product/thyroid-hair-regrowth-complex/
– For weight management: https://www.restartmed.com/product/gut-bomb-350-billion/ + https://www.restartmed.com/product/functional-fuel-complete/
– For gut health: https://www.restartmed.com/product/ultra-biotic-x100/
– For energy and adrenal health: https://www.restartmed.com/product/thyroid-adrenal-reset-complex/ + https://www.restartmed.com/product/power-b-complex/
If you are interested in having Dr. Childs evaluate your labs you can find more information here:
You can read more on my website here: